Monday, November 13, 2017

R&S Yarn Update!



If you follow me over on Instagram, you've probably seen that we are in the final stages of launching Raincloud & Sage Yarn into the world. YAY!! 

Honestly you guys, I can't believe we made it this far. That sounds a little trite to say, but it's the honest truth. I could never have imagined when I started this blog (almost 5 years ago now!) that this is where my path would lead me, but it feels so right and I'm just thrilled to be here. 

Of course, starting this yarn label has come with it's challenges in different shapes and forms. I'm so glad we stuck with it and that I can finally hold the finished product in my hands, but in many ways this is only the beginning. 



As many (all...?) creatives, I have a lot of fears surrounding putting my work (and ultimately myself) out there. Honestly, every time someone purchases a pattern from me my very first feeling is fear- what if they don't like it? what if they find a mistake? Regardless of how much effort and energy and love goes into creating a thing, I think these feelings are somehow always connected with sharing creative work. And I'm sure battling them with this yarn- what if people hate it? what if it's too scratchy for them? Or perhaps even worse- what if nobody even cares...?

My husband recently told me that I need to stop describing our yarn in terms of what it isn't (in other words: it's not soft) and focus on what it IS. Because the truth is, I am incredibly proud of what it is: rustic, sheepy yarn with a story, grown by sheep who are raised with care, spun locally & sustainably with mindfulness for both the materials and the environment, packaged by us with a ton of love and then (hopefully!) sent to knitters everywhere so that they can continue this story we've started. 

I've seen the sheep who grew this wool. I've visited the mill, seen the machines that spun our yarn and the river where it was washed afterwards. To be involved in something like this is nothing short of amazing. 

No it's not soft- and it's not for everyone. It's not even for every knitter. But I'm putting it out there anyways, because I believe this is a story that deserves to be told. 



If you're curious- here are the two colorways all swatched up. I'm calling our first base Origin and it's a 3ply yarn, woolen spun at a light worsted/DK weight. For whatever reason, the grey is scratchier than the cream, which is actually quite soft and would totally work for a hat for someone who's not afraid to wear a little wool. Otherwise I think this yarn would be great for outerwear sweaters, and of course mittens or even a good thick pair of slippers or outerwear socks. 

All further info can be found on our website- raincloudandsage.com // That's also where you'll find the links to our Newsletter and Instagram, both of which will keep you up-to-date on what's happening. Thanks as always for being here. It means so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment